Portage/Kalamazoo is a pretty hip place to live! Here are a few upcoming events that may pique your interest.
** Saturday, March 17th ** Kalamazoo's St. Patrick's Day Parade begins at 11:00 am, traveling north to south on the Kalamazoo Mall. For more information, click HERE. Erin go Bragh!
** Saturday, March 24th ** Looking for some deals? Check out Kalamazoo's Ultimate Indoor Garage Sale at the Kalamazoo County Expo Center! Antiques, clothing, sporting goods and more will be for sale from 9:00a - 3:00p. For $2 at the door, you can explore for hours! Please click HERE for more details.
** Sunday, April 1st ** Enjoy an Easter bunch without all the cooking and cleanup at one of a number of area restaurants:
- W.K. Kellogg Manor House in Hickory Corners - 11:00a to 2:00p - $29 adults / $17 children - click HERE for more info and reservations.
- Henderson Castle downtown Kalamazoo - 11:30a to 2:30p - $49 / $25 - visit the Castle's website HERE for a full menu.
- Bravo! on Portage Rd. - 10:30a - 2:00p - call 269.344.7700 for pricing and reservations.
- More to follow soon!
Here are a few suggestions for indoor activities while the snow flies outside!
* Take flight for an afternoon at the Air Zoo, where the history of avionics can be absorbed through a unique blend of exhibits, simulators, presentations, and activities. Frequently rated "Best Place to Spend a Day with Your Family," this museum will appeal to the young and young-at-heart. Open 7 days a week. Air Zoo website.
* Create your own pottery project at Art Bayou, just off Western Michigan University's campus. Primarily a paint-your-own pottery studio, Art Bayou also offers glass fusing, mosaic, and clay sculpting classes. Purchasing decorations can be fun, but there's something satisfying in the phrase "Yes, I made that myself!" Closed on Mondays. Art Bayou's website.
* Sign up for a book discussion group at the Portage District Library. Groups vary by topic and meeting frequency. Visit the discussion page on the PDL's Website for more information.
* Feel the magic of live performance at one of Portage/Kalamazoo's many great theaters. From the grand auditoriums at Miller (WMU) and the Civic, to the more intimate settings of the Parish and the New Vic - our area has something for everyone! Visit the following link to view an up-to-date calendar of shows around town: Theatre Kalamazoo's website.
* Design your very own wine with the experts at Tempo Vino Winery! Taste a wide array of options, formulate your recipe, bottle your wine after fermentation, and even create your own unique labels. What fun it is to share your custom concoction with friends, or surprise your loved ones with a "Smith Family Sangria" around the holidays. For more information, visit Tempo Vino's website.
* Join a local service club and help give back to the community we live in:
- The Portage Rotary Club (Rotary website) meets every Wednesday just down the road at the Portage Senior Center.
- The Lions Club of Portage (Lions' website) meets two Saturdays a month at Burger Town Grille on Shaver Rd.
- The Kiwanis Club of Kalamazoo (KCK website) meets on Wednesdays for lunch at the Radisson Plaza Hotel downtown.